Passionate about reproductive medicine both on a professional and personal level, Tamara Tobias is an active leader in the fertility community. Her personal experience—nine years of infertility—gives her a unique perspective and the ability to truly empathize and walk with her patients through the emotional ups and downs of the experience. She shares her patients’ stories, their triumphs and their heartbreaks along the journey.
The fertility journey is not easy, especially when the path isn’t clearly marked. Tamara took many long hikes along her own fertility journey which is why she wrote Fertility Walk: A Nurse’s Guide Along Your Journey. Her first book serves as a walking tool and it guides patients and couples through the fertility process. Her second book, Hiking Gear for the Two-Week Wait, is a journal and resource for patients while awaiting their outcome. Proceeds from both books benefit Fertility Walk Hope Fund , a non-profit organization offering grants to those unable to afford treatment.
Tamara obtained her Nursing degree from the College of St. Benedict in St. Joseph, Minnesota, Nurse Practitioner training at Harbor-UCLA and Masters of Science Degree in Nursing from California State University, Long Beach. She has provided comprehensive care to infertile couples since 1997.
Tamara feels very fortunate that she was able to start with SRM when they launched their first of five offices back in 2004. She wore many hats at the time including the development of all of SRM’s third-party programs, numerous policies and procedures, and patient education materials which she continues to manage.
While working at the San Diego Fertility Center, Tamara founded the Reproductive Nursing Association (RNA) of San Diego and Southern Orange County and was a founding member of Seattle Tacoma Area Reproductive Society (STARS) when she moved to Seattle. Both societies are non-profit organizations established to provide continuing education and networking for fertility experts.
Some of her other accomplishments include:
- Honored recipient of the ASRM Service Milestone Award for serving 10 years in leadership board and/or committee positions.
- Served on the Executive Council of the Society for Assisted Reproductive Technologies (SART)
- Active American Society for Reproductive Medicine member, currently serving on the ASRM Fund Development Committee and Chair of the Advanced Practice Provider Committee
- Past Chair of the Nurses’ Professional Group within ASRM
- Invited speaker at ASRM annual meetings and other professional conferences
- IVPCARE’s 2007 Cathy James Professional Patient Education Grant winner
- Published several articles in nursing newsletters and journals
- Recognized in 2014 and 2017as one of Seattle Magazine’s Top Nurse Practitioners
- SRM’s 2014 Employee of the Year
- Author of Fertility Walk, A Fertility Nurse’s Guide Along Your Journey and Hiking Geat for the Two-Week Wait
- Founder of Fertility Walk Hope Fund
Tamara sees patients at the Bellevue location. When she’s not working, Tamara especially enjoys the outdoors, hikes in the woods with her family, and gardening.